Popular Posts

Monday 24 October 2011

3 different ways to Procrastinate

I am (or was, in your case) meant to be doing my English essay ("How Shakespeare presents Romeo, compared to Baz Luhrmann's film version, in the two key scenes") but there was this magazine next to me ("Writing Magazine" November 2011. Yes, I am a that type of person who buys magazines for the retired middle-class. I told you I'm old.) and decided to flick through it when I saw an interesting article written by Lorraine Jennings about 3 different types of procrastination. It's just a jokey article (well, I thought it was quite funny) and it is linked with what I am doing right now... so I thought I'd share it with you :)
  1. Passive Procrastination. Or idle surfing the net. You're not sure what you're looking for but anything other than doing the work-that-must-be-done will do.
  2. Positive Procrastination. Now this is guilt-free. You're constantly telling us how we should tweet 'like' and link-in with our fellow writers. We hit these sites without care in the world. All for the good of our writing, of course.
  3. Productive Procrastination. It surfaced once I'd accepted a commission recently. "Pony" wanted five articles in two weeks. I was delighful. I opened five new documents. I wrote Pony Winter Series on top of each one and the thoughts started to flow. I've since written three articles about New Year's Resolutions, two on giving up smoking and two about writing - not to mention this letter. Productive it may be but procrastination it still is. Does anyone out there know anything about horse riding?
I think im on the fence between doing positive prcrastination and productive procrastination right now... hmm... ah well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment